With the New Year right around the corner, millions of Americans will likely make weight loss one of their number one goals. However, many individuals struggle with maintaining a fitness program because it is difficult and usually not fun. However, this does not have to be the case. Weight loss is achievable in a fun manner when it incorporates roller skating.
The American Heart Association and the President’s Council for Physical Fitness recommend roller skating for health reasons. Some of the key benefits that the Roller Skating Association cites include:
- The average skater is able to burn approximately 600 calories within one hour when roller skating at a moderate speed
- Roller skating causes only half of the stress on joints when compared to running
- Roller skating builds endurance and strength
- Roller skating works a number of course muscles
- Roller skating is much safer than other sports
While roller skating may not seem to be part of a traditional exercise regimen. However, its ability to serve as part of the 150 minutes of weekly moderate exercise makes it worth considering.
In addition to the health benefits, roller skating offers a number of other benefits. These benefits can help keep you on target for your fitness goals and enhance your life. Some of the other benefits offered by roller skating include:
- Fun activity – Roller skating is fun. Switching a boring exercise program for roller skating is more likely to keep you on track with your weight loss goals.
- Being around others – Being around others can be a real motivator when exercising. Sometimes it brings out your competitive nature. Being together also allows you to enjoy the activity with other skaters, friends, a spouse or your kids.
- Cheap – Check out our great rates with our learn to skate lessons.